TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Council announces the inaugural class of inductees into the newly established Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame.
1. John R. D. Cleland, Major General (Retired), U.S. Army (Melbourne)
2. The late Rep. Sam M. Gibbons, former U.S. Army Major (Tampa)
3. John L. Haynes, Major (Retired), U.S. Marine Corps (Monticello)
4. Robert F. Milligan, Lieutenant General (Retired), U.S. Marine Corps (Tallahassee)
5. Jeanne E. G. Rubin, Captain (Retired), U.S. Navy (Sunrise)
6. Robert J. Silah, Captain (Retired), U.S. Navy (Tampa)
The Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame recognizes and honors those military veterans who, through their works and lives during or after military service, have made a significant contribution to the state of Florida through civic, business, public service or other pursuits. It is not a traditional military hall of fame, as it focuses on post-military contributions to the State of Florida.
The induction ceremony is scheduled for Nov. 12, 2013 in the Cabinet Room of the State Capitol Building in Tallahassee. The ceremony begins at 8:30 a.m.
“This ceremony sets forth a proud tradition of recognizing veterans for their leadership and civic contributions to the state,” said retired Air Force Col. Bruce Host, a former Leon County Commissioner who serves as council chairman. “We look forward to recognizing these distinguished veterans and many more in future years.”
The Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Council, a seven-member advisory panel, is responsible by Florida Statute for submitting to the Governor and Cabinet a list of recommended nominees each year. In selecting its nominees for submission, the council gives preference to veterans who were either born in Florida or adopted Florida as their home state. The council’s recommendations for the inaugural class were unanimously accepted by Gov. Rick Scott and the Cabinet on Sept. 24, 2013.
For more information, visit http://floridaveteranshalloffame.org/
# # #