Request Military Records
New! The National Personnel Records Center is closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They will continue servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans trying to gain admittance to a homeless shelter. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until they return to pre-COVID staffing levels.
- More information on NPRC’s operating status
- More information about the National Archives’ response to coronavirus can be found at archives.gov/coronavirus.
Most federal, state and local veterans’ benefits require proof of military service through an official discharge document, often called a DD-214 or one of its predecessors. You may request a free copy of your military service record through the National Archives at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/.
What do they hold?
- Official Military Personnel Folders (OMPF) including the Service Treatment Record (includes outpatient, dental and mental health treatment).
- Clinical (hospital inpatient) records created for military personnel while on active duty.
- Medical treatment records for military retirees, dependents, and others created at military medical treatment facilities (includes inpatient, outpatient, dental, and mental health treatment).
What records are there?
U.S. Air Force 1947-2004
- Records from 1947-1963 (Hubbard –Z) were impacted by 1973 fire
U.S. Army 1912-2002
- Records from 1912-1959 were impacted by 1973 fire
U.S. Coast Guard 1898-2008
U.S. Marine Corps 1905-1998
U.S. Navy 1886-1994
Records Not at National Personnel Records Center (NPRC):
- Records of soldiers currently on active duty and records of veterans who have separated but still have reserve status remain with military services.
- Pay records are held by Defense Finance and Accounting Service.
- The individual branches and/or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may hold other, more recent archival materials. Visit https://www.archives.gov/st-louis for details.
Customer Service Line: