Request Military Records

New! The National Personnel Records Center is closed due to the increase in Covid-19 transmission. As of January 6, 2022, the NPRC has reduced its on-site staffing to 25 percent. They are continuing to service requests and will prioritize requests involving burials, emergency medical treatments, homeless veterans seeking shelter, and comparable emergencies.  Servicing will continue on all other types of requests, but response times will be further delayed.

Most federal, state and local veterans’ benefits require proof of military service through an official discharge document, often called a DD-214 or one of its predecessors.  You may request a free copy of your military service record through the National Archives at

What do they hold?

  • Official Military Personnel Folders (OMPF) including the Service Treatment Record (includes outpatient, dental and mental health treatment).
  • Clinical (hospital inpatient) records created for military personnel while on active duty.
  • Medical treatment records for military retirees, dependents, and others created at military medical treatment facilities (includes inpatient, outpatient, dental, and mental health treatment).

What records are there?

U.S. Air Force 1947-2004

  • Records from 1947-1963 (Hubbard –Z) were impacted by 1973 fire

U.S. Army 1912-2002

  • Records from 1912-1959 were impacted by 1973 fire

U.S. Coast Guard 1898-2008

U.S. Marine Corps 1905-1998

U.S. Navy 1886-1994

Records Not at National Personnel Records Center (NPRC):

  • Records of soldiers currently on active duty and records of veterans who have separated but still have reserve status remain with military services.
  • Pay records are held by Defense Finance and Accounting Service.
  • The individual branches and/or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may hold other, more recent archival materials. Visit for details.

Customer Service Line:
(314) 801-0800